Several posts on what several news organizations have confirmed as the Twitter profile of accused Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev indicate that that the 19-year-old Chechnyan immigrant was a supporter of Barack Obama in the 2012 presidential election.
If that is indeed the case, it does not mean that Obama has any sort of connection with or responsibility for the bombing suspect or his brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev. It does, however, completely reverse the fantasy that many American liberals were openly hoping for: that the bombing suspects might be revealed as Timothy McVeigh 2.0, someone whose very name they could use to smear and deride anyone who stands against their belief system. In other words, one of those "dog whistles" we keep hearing so much about.
Now that information has emerged which not only indicates the suspected bombers were not radical conservatives but that one of them appears to be a supporter of President Obama, how widely will it be spread in the endless series of reports trying to report as many details about the two suspects?
Several news agencies have tracked down a Twitter account<https://twitter.com/J_tsar> which is believed to belong to Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the younger of the two brothers whom the FBI has identified as the people responsible for a pressure cooker bomb which killed three people and injured nearly 150.
Blogger Bob Owens discovered<http://www.bob-owens.com/2013/04/twitter-feed-suggests-boston-marathon-terrorist-was-an-obama-supporter/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BobOwens+%28Bob+Owens%29> that Tsarnaev made clear his political preferences as he celebrated the reelection of President Obama on November 6th.
As one can see frome the timeline linked above, Tsarnaev retweeted a statement from Obama's official Twitter account after he won which stated "This happened because of you. Thank you."
He also retweeted a statement from a Twitter user named "TnL 4/20 Monty" which expressed approval of Obama's defeat of Romney but urged caution: "Barack you my dawg but we all puppets in this bitch."
The owner of the account also explicitly stated his own approval of Obama saying "america is impervious to the fuckery #justforthisoneday."
Now that this information is known and liberal news organizations are known to be quoting from the J_tsar Twitter account, will they quote the above statements?
Update: As an assist to liberal readers of this article, here are some recent posts from NewsBusters documenting how various left-wing media figures sought to blame the bombing on conservatives:
* MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell Blames NRA For Slowing Down Investigation In Boston Bombing<http://newsbusters.org/blogs/matt-vespa/2013/04/18/npr-heavily-hints-boston-was-bombed-anti-government-right-wing-individua>
* NPR Heavily Hints Boston Was Bombed by 'Anti-Government Right-Wing Individuals' Who Love Hitler<http://newsbusters.org/blogs/matt-vespa/2013/04/18/npr-heavily-hints-boston-was-bombed-anti-government-right-wing-individua>
* Boston Bombing: NYT Reports, National Journal Speculates On 'Right-Wing, Antigovernment Extremist Groups'<http://newsbusters.org/blogs/matt-vespa/2013/04/18/boston-bombing-nyt-reports-national-journal-speculates-right-wing-antigo>
* CNN Claims Pressure Cooker Bombs Somehow 'Signature' of Extreme Right Terrorists<http://newsbusters.org/blogs/randy-hall/2013/04/18/cnn-claims-pressure-cooker-bomb-signature-right-wing-extremists-offers-n>
* Actual Salon Headline: 'Let's Hope the Boston Marathon Bomber Is a White American' <http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2013/04/17/actual-salon-headline-let-s-hope-boston-marathon-bomber-white-america>
* MSNBC Brings On Harvard Professor to Speculate 'Far Right' May Be Responsible For Boston Attack <http://newsbusters.org/blogs/jeffrey-meyer/2013/04/17/msnbc-brings-harvard-professor-suspect-far-right-may-be-responsible-b>
In light of the absurd statements referenced above, might it be time for the organizations who made them apologize for their errors?
Update 17:25. Both CNN<https://twitter.com/SteveKrak/status/325286146475171841> and Buzzfeed<http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/this-might-be-djohar-tsarnaevs-actual-twitter-account> have confirmed that the Twitter account referred to in this piece indeed belongs to Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. The lede of this post has been rewritten to reflect this confirmation.
About the Author
Matthew Sheffield is the creator of NewsBusters and president of Dialog New Media, an internet marketing and design firm. Click here<http://twitter.com/mattsheffield> to follow Matthew Sheffield on Twitter.